Home

Thursday, January 29, 2015

The PapaLouk Mate!

I was lucky enough and it gave me a great pleasure to be the first to witness this particular kind of mate!
It's not like that this has never occured before, but the way it made its appearance left me completely stunned!
You will understand what  I am talking about in a few moments!
But let's take this from the beginning!

One afternoon my good friend and extremely strong and creative player
Gm Loukas Papadimitriou came with a beautiful game of his to show it to me!
"Nik, I want you to look at this game because something is special about it"
"Ok, go on"

 and he started showing me the game till this position was reached:

White to play ..
What would you do?




















White of course ,you saw it, can sac the exchange and go for mate!
1 Nh5 is the move
but how to continue after Bf1?






What would you play now? Think about it and then continue























Yes yes yes and now the beautiful move Ng7 destroying the cover of the black king!
Sacrificing a whole rook!
Loukas had done some work recently on Kasparov's games























and this move came naturally to him!




and after Bb5?

 


















there came the move Nf5!






and then after Qd7
What would you play?


















Yes ......the coup de grace
Qh5!! 




and if Nh5 Nh6+ and mate







Kasparov on seeing this had to say




















"I am very pleased that Loukas played the way I used to play in the nineties!


















Although this mate is nothing new,








on the next Fide Conference I promise I will show it to Kirsan (Ilyumzhinov) and I will propose to give it the name "PapaLouk mate" in honour of the great player Loukas Papadimitriou!








Other strong players and friends of Loukas also commented:
Gm Achilleas Zografos a famous musician and superstrong player said:
"When I see this mate i experience the same aesthetic pleasure as when I listen to a Beethoven composition"
Gm Nik Roubeglis an objective, high skilled, but also a very practical player
also said that
" I always knew how imaginative Loukas is and his latest achievement is a true spark of genius!"


I have nothing more to add!
Mpravo Louk!
We look forward to your next achievement!


No comments:

Post a Comment